Sunday, March 20, 2011

Dark Matter

I watched the movie, Dark Matter, last night and enjoyed it immensely. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that my favorite actress was a member of the cast. I'm sure that enhanced my enjoyment considerably! I've only gone out with one actress and can tell you that while not all women are actresses, all women can act!
The professor was obviously jealous of his brilliant student, holding him back by denying him of his Ph D. It is not supposed to be that way in theory, but often is in practice.
A former chessplayer I know has not one, but two, Ph D's. He said it stands for, 'Piled High & Deep'! The professor accused the brilliant student of 'not being a team player'. Brilliant people are not usually 'team' players. I have never understood 'team' events in chess. I played on a 'team' only once. There was a two-man team tournament in Atlanta back in the '70's and my teammate was none other than the Legendary Georgia Ironman. We agreed before play began that, if one of us lost, the other would, under no circumstances, agree to a draw unless there were only Kings left standing. I lost when my Tal-like sacrifice was refuted. After going over the game, I went to see how my 'teammate' was doing. Since there was no one at the board, I went looking for the Ironman. I learned that not only had he drawn, but had offered the draw! His opponent was Alison Burt, the strongest female player in Georgia at the time. The Ironman explained that the position was even and, "I did not want to lose to her again!" I vowed to NEVER, EVER play in a team event again!
I checked the movie out on the Internet Movie Database(http://www.imdb.com/find?s=all&q=dark+matter), finding it received a rating of only 6.1. I gave it a 8.8 for the ending alone!
I recently read, The 4 Percent Universe: Dark Matter, Dark Energy, and the Race to Discover the Rest of Reality by Richard Panek. It is very well written and enjoyable because he "...nimbly outlines recent findings in physics, astronomy, and cosmology and evaluates rival theories in clear, comprehensible language." (From Bookmarks Magazine ) We know so very little about so very much. The sad fact is that we are ignorant. We do, though, know much more than what was known when I was in school. We do continue to acquire knowledge at what seems a snail's pace. I have tried to keep pace with the knowledge we are learning throughout my life. I feel education should never stop. Unfortunately, others feel differently when it comes to acquiring knowledge. I took a new job once and, during lunch, began to read a book. "What'cha doin'?" asked my boss. "What does it look like I'm doing," I asked. "What'cha reading a book for?" he continued. "I ain't done no reading since they made my back in school."
"I can tell," said I.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What other books have you read recently?