Friday, July 1, 2011

The Dreaded Hitter

I think I would like Bill James. I have read most everything he has writtn on the game of baseball. That does not mean I agree with everything he has written, though. What he does is make me think.
He once wrote that he believed the desiginated hitter made the game MORE complicated for the manager! Go figure...As far as I'm concerned, he could not be more wrong.
Chris Welch, the 'color' man on the Reds broadcasts, during a discussion on the DH during the game between the Reds and Tampa Bay (Devil) Rays, on 6/28/11, said this about the AL: "You can sleepwalk and manage at the same time in this league."
My sentiments exactly. The AL is simply not real baseball. As far as I'm concerned, there is only one league, and that is the league in which the pitcher steps up to the plate with a piece of lumber in his hands! When a game is played in which someone hits but does not take the field, it is only an exhibition game. Hey, you've got your world view, and I've got mine!

No comments: