Tuesday, August 26, 2008

You just got to play the game

Because of the rain the turnout was sparse for the TNF. One of the dozen players in the first round (including House man, President Parker) was afflicted with a terrible cough. Mr Parker came down to inform the TD, who decided to let play continue when Scott said the youngster should be sent home AFTER the round. Unfortunately, the cough was so loud and frequent that it affected everyone, causing High Plains Vest to drop a rook vs James Stack! Mr Stack, a true gentleman, indeed, offered the Drifter a draw, telling me later that "I did not want to win that way." Because of the gracious way he handled the situation, Mr Stack will receive a free entry to the next TNF, on the House. The parents had to be called to come get the boy who should never had been brought to the House in his condition. It is simply beyond my comprehension that any parent could not see that their son required, at the least, chicken soup and rest, at HOME! The fact that the child was disruptive to everyone in the tournament, and spreading his germs here at the House, is a secondary concern to his health, which should have been paramount!
After beating Bob Peatman in round one, Dr Cano put an end to Pinky Peatman's run at the House in the second round. Mr Stack beat Tianming Liu to move to 1 1/2, as did the Z-Men, Zelman and Zimmerman, who drew each other. Poor Bob Peatman went from the frying pan into the fire by having to face the Drifter. Bob is a great sport and a fine fellow. I wish we had a House full of men just like him!
That brings us to the last round PAIRING! That's right, for the very first time, ever, the house had ONE GAME in the last round. Mr Vest, with White and a half point less, faced Dr Cano. The man from the High Plains won, taking first prize of $22. Dr Cano, and the Z-Men, each with 2 points, won $5 each. It was fitting that the player taking the under prize of $14 was none other than James Stack! James has to work the overnight shift and needs to take a last round bye. The other EIGHT players need to get home early because of school. It is rather obvious that something must be done. We discussed making the TNF a 4 round event, with the first round starting at 6:30. That way the youngsters will be able to play 3 games before having to leave, and late arrivers can take a half point bye in the first round. At least we think there may be more players around for the last round! Please leave your comments. If you read this, please send it to others, asking they consider leaving a comment!
I told you Bob Peatman is a good sport. I asked him if it would be ok to publish this gruesome game on the blog and he gave his approval. I must mention that Bob reads every post! Like I said, I wish I had a House full of Bob...

Bob Peatman (1207) - Orlando Cano (1800) [A02]
1.f4 e5 2.b3 exf4 3.Nh3 Qh4+ 4.Nf2 Nf6 5.d4 Ne4 6.g3 fxg3 7.Nxe4 g2+ 8.Nf2 gxh1Q 0–1

Brook Benton - Rainy Night in Georgia

Hoverin' by my suitcase, tryin' to find a warm place to spend the night/Heavy rain fallin', seems I hear your voice callin' "It's all right."A rainy night in Georgia, a rainy night in Georgia/It seems like it's rainin' all over the world/I feel like it's rainin' all over the world
Neon signs a-flashin', taxi cabs and buses passin' through the night/A distant moanin' of a train seems to play a sad refrain to the night/A rainy night in Georgia, such a rainy night in Georgia/Lord, I believe it's rainin' all over the world/I feel like it's rainin' all over the world
How many times I wondered/It still comes out the same/No matter how you look at it or think of it/It's life and you just got to play the game
I find me a place in a box car, so I take my guitar to pass some time/Late at night when it's hard to rest I hold your picture to my chest and I feel fine/(minor scat) But it's a rainy night in Georgia, baby, it's a rainy night in Georgia I/feel it's rainin' all over the world, kinda lonely now And it's rainin' all over theworld
Oh, have you ever been lonely, people?/And you feel that it was rainin' all over this man's world/You're talking 'bout rainin', rainin', rainin', rainin', rainin', rainin', rainin',rainin', rainin' rainin', rainin', rainin'

All lyrics are property and copyright of their owners. All lyrics provided for educational purposes only.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think four rounds would be a good idea. It also helps people get 1 more chance to play someone near their rating, as unfortunately 3 round open swisses tend to have huge rating disparities.

Bob Peatman said...

That game was terrible. I spoke with Larry Stanfield for a long time during the ACC championship and I am going to stop playing the kings gambit and start playing C3 as While and C5 as black. I sat down to do this for the first time and got all turned around and played F4 by accident and then just got killed and played terrible. I was also sitting directly across and on the next board from the coughing which was driving me crazy. I couldn't stop thinking about not wanting to get sick, but I got in bad trouble from the first move and would have been quickly crushed anyway.

I am all for a 6:30 start. We would be there every week I think.