Wednesday, July 2, 2008

On the way to the World Open

A blast from the past just stopped by the HOP to purchase a set to take with him on his way to the WO. It has been many years since I've crossed paths with Gary Bailey from Alabama. The last time I saw him he gave me a ride back down south from Foxwoods in 2003. He lost on board one in the "A" section in the last round. He mentioned how terrible he felt after losing in the last round until I told him that at least he had made it to board one, which is the board on which every player in the section wanted to be. He said that made him feel a little better...
He has had no time for chess since then, but the game is in his blood. He's driving all the way by himself to play in the 3 day. Although he'd rather not have to play 5 G/45 games in one day, it's the only way he could make it. He looked around at the HOP saying, "Just being here, surrounded by nothing but chess gives me a good feeling!" Gary said that if he made it to retirement, "This is where I'll spend my weekends!" He also said that he will sometimes awakens in the middle of the night thinking of a bad move he made. When I told him that I too had done that, he said, "Then I'm not so crazy, huh?" Seems his family simply cannot understand what the game of chess means to him...
I went outside with him, wishing him well, and telling him that I would be keeping an eye on him and he said he hoped that would make him play better, knowing that someone was watching his progress. He left with a smile on his face...

No comments: